Friday, January 09, 2009

Another newspaper going under?

From the rival daily, the Seattle Times ...

The future of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer appeared uncertain tonight after a local television station reported the newspaper is setting the stage for closure -- but then the managing editor of the paper said he knew of no such plans.

KING-TV reported at 5 p.m. that the P-I will be put up for sale. The information was attributed to an unnamed "source close to the deal." The television station said that neither Hearst Corporation, which owns the P-I, nor the paper's publisher was available to immediately confirm the report. However, the source said the news could be officially announced as early as tomorrow.

The P-I then reported that the paper's managing editor said he knows of no plans to sell the paper. At about 5:15 p.m., soon after the KING-TV report was aired, managing editor David McCumber told the newsroom's staffers, "If this is going on -- and I don't know that it is -- it's going on at a level that's far above me, and nobody has seen fit to clue me in. I think it's a bunch of rumor. You look at the state of this business -- it wouldn't surprise me if something was going on, but I have no knowledge of what that something is."

No comments: