Showing posts with label DeKonty. Show all posts
Showing posts with label DeKonty. Show all posts

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Breaking news: Justice Official Michele DeKonty Fired!


Hat tip to Youth Today for the scoop!

Source:
Youth Today


A federal juvenile justice official who was fired on June 24 had helped selected organizations apply for Justice Department grants past the deadline - a significant violation of department policy - and directed employees to help a favored organization win a grant, according to federal documents.

Michele DeKonty, who served as chief of staff at the U.S. Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP), played a central role in grant awards that are under congressional investigation. She recently took the Fifth Amendment when asked to speak with investigators from the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, which is probing whether OJJDP awarded grants based on political favoritism and personal connections.

OJJDP Administrator J. Robert Flores offered no explanation in announcing her departure in a memo to staffers on the morning of June 25, saying, "Yesterday, [DeKonty] ended her tenure with our Office."


Former OJJDP employee Scott Peterson who blew the whistle on his boss, J. Robert Flores' shady decision making tactics on grants had this to say on Youth Today website:


scott peterson - 6/25/2008 One down - one to go. I am sure just about all the staff and the greater juvenile justice community across America will rest easier when the email comes out that OJJDP Administrator Robert Flores is leaving. I for one know I will be at his going away party - if only to make sure he is really leaving - so OJJDP can start to heal and do the fine work it used to for the children, youth and young people in this country.

Monday, June 23, 2008

Why did OJJDP Admin Michele DeKonty plead the 5th?



Youth Today gives highlights of Oversight Committee hearing last week with J. Robert Flores. The newspaper sheds some insights of DeKonty's involvement in the grantmaking scandal.

From Youth Today:


The chief of staff, Michele DeKonty, cited "her Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination" in refusing to speak with investigators about whether the agency awarded competitive grants based on favoritism, according to a memorandum by the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, which held a hearing about the grants on Thursday.

World Golf Foundation - $500,000 for one year. Scored 47th.


* Flores met with foundation President Joe Louis Barrow Jr. in early 2007, and he and DeKonty met with Barrow again in June that year - at a time when the grant application process was under way, according to a memo summarizing the committee's investigation. Barrow later e-mailed DeKonty to say that if not for the meeting "we might have completely missed the deadline. ... I would ask you to determine how you might assist us in the initial effort."


* Flores and DeKonty asked Jeff Slowikoski, a veteran OJJDP staffer, why he had not "personally informed the World Golf Foundation" about the National Program grants solicitation. Slowikowski told the committee that Flores and




DeKonty "then directed program staff to help the World Golf Foundation in preparing its application. "It was made clear to me that we had to ... work with World Golf and make sure that they got their application in," he told the committee, according to the memo.


* Before the OJJDP staff began scoring the bids, Slowikowski wrote a memo to another staffer stating that the foundation was "requesting $3.0 million which I am certain we are funding because Michele [DeKonty] has said as much."


Best Friends Foundation - $1.1 million over three years. Scored 51st.


Scott Peterson, a former OJJDP program manager who scored some of the bids, told committee investigators that the president of Best Friends, Elayne Bennett, called him that month to say she had recently had lunch with Flores and "he advised her to apply for funding from OJJDP," according to the committee memo. Peterson has said he informed Bennett about the grants that would be available.


In May, Flores "invited Ms. Bennett to a meeting with Michele DeKonty, his chief of staff," the memo states. When the committee sought to interview DeKonty about that meeting, she invoked her Fifth Amendment right, according to the committee memo.


Thursday, June 19, 2008

OJJDP Chief of Staff for Flores cites 5th amendment in today's hearing on grant matching process.


Hat tip to Youth Today for their synopsis of Oversight Committee hearing with Flores.

From Youth Today:

Posted by
Patrick Boyle


Opening Shots

The chief of staff for OJJDP Administrator J. Robert Flores cited the Fifth Amendment in refusing to speak to House investigators about the grant making process at the agency, according to a congressional memo released this morning.

Michele DeKonty "refused to speak" to the House Committee on Oversight and Government reform, "citing her Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination," says a memo from the committee, which is holding a hearing this morning on OJJDP's grant-making.

The memo, which summarizes the committee's investigation, also says:

* A career official at OJJDP told staffers even before they began reviewing the grant applications that he was "certain we are funding" the World Golf Foundation, because DeKonty "has said as much."

In his opening statement, Rep. Henry Waxman (D-Calif.), chairman of the committee, said Flores directed his staff to help the group with its proposal, and in 2006 traveled to Florida to visit the foundation and play golf.

* Flores directed one of the fiscal 2007 National Juvenile Justice Program grants to an organization linked to former White House official Lisa Cummins. The $1.2 million grant went to Urban Strategies LLC, a consulting firm, and Victory Outreach Special Services. Cummins, who worked in the White House Office for Faith Based Initiatives, is president of Urban Strategies, the memo says.

* While the grants were being competed, Flores had multiple contacts with one of the eventual grant winners, the Best Friends Foundation, including attending a $500-a-plate fundraiser for the organization. Best Friends won a grant despite ranking 53rd out of 104 applications.

Waxman said Flores "largely ignored" the recommendations of staffers who reviewed the grant proposals. He said some of the bidders he chose "appeared to have special access to Mr. Flores."

Flores "had discretion to award grants," Waxman said. But "nearly every official the committee spoke with, including the Justice Department peer reviewers, the civil service program managers and the career official in charge of the solicitation, told us that Mr. Flores' approach was neither fair nor transparent."

Republican Response

Rep. Tom Davis (R-Va.) said, "This hearing is little more than an attempt to earmark by oversight," because some members of Congress are unhappy with the choices that Flores made.
"The premise that grant awards must automatically go to top-scoring applicants has no basis in law, regulation or practice," Davis said.

Flores Responds

Flores is reading his testimony, a draft of which was summarized yesterday on the home page of youthtoday.org.
He said all allegations that he showed favoritism in awarding grants are false. He said media reports that claim he showed favoritism are based on a lack of understanding about the review process. He said the reviewers rank the ability of the organization to carry out its proposal, but the reviewers do not recommend which programs to fund because no reviewer looks at all of the proposals.
He did not state, as his draft testimony said, that complaints about the World Golf Foundation grant are based in part on a bias against the wealthy.

Paying for Golf

Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) launched the most aggressive questioning of the day. He charged that Flores might have violated federal ethics laws in his connections with the World Golf Foundation. His voice sometimes rising, Cummings:

* Said Flores took a trip to a foundation conference in Florida in 2006 and played a round of golf with the foundation without paying - a possible violation of federal ethics laws. Cummings then revealed a receipt showing that Flores paid $159 for that round of golf - yesterday.
Flores said the foundation was slow to respond to his request for a bill.

* Said Flores and his chief of staff, DeKonty, met with the foundation's presdient in June 2007 at a time when the foundation had a grant application before OJJDP. Flores said he will meet with bidders to help them with the grant application process. Cummings shot back that Flores refused to meet with some applicants that he subsequently did not fund, like Parents Anonymous. He also said OJJDP staff was told not to forward many such meeting requests to him.
"We can't meet with everybody," Flores said.

* Pressed Flores on how he felt about DeKonty taking the Fifth Amendment. "I don't have any concerns about that," he said.

Here is more information of today's hearings from Waxman's website.
And there is more:

From Legal Times:

Flores admitted that he accepted a round of golf from a group that eventually got a $500,000 grant from his office.

Flores repaid The First Tee nonprofit $159 in green fees from a 2006 outing at the Slammer & Squirrel Golf Course in St. Augustine, Fla. But congressional documents show the reimbursement occurred Wednesday afternoon, less than 24 hours before Flores testified before the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee.


Now that should be a clue on how this hearing on Flores was going to turn out. Flores' admin invokes the 5th Amendment yet Flores read a drafted memo to the committee in which he denied favoritism when choosing grants. And what makes matters worse is that Flores repaid the 2006 debt of The First Tee one day before his testimony to the Oversight Committee. Flores is hiding something. Smells like cover-up.