Friday, March 16, 2012

Bank of America Wants Death Certificate of Living Customer to Process Loan Modification

San Diego, CA (PRWEB) March 15, 2012

Bank of America never questioned how independent filmmaker De Veau Dunn could be making mortgage payments from six feet under. They just kept sending letters, for months, saying they needed his death certificate in order to modify his home loan. So Dunn, along with San Diego based production company Endi Entertainment, made a video about the whole story.

Throughout the loan modification process Bank of America had repeatedly requested and received the same documents from Dunn. Then the bank claimed to need homeowner Dunn to send official documents proving he was deceased, in order to complete his loan modification.

“At first I gave Bank of America the benefit of the doubt, thinking they had made a mistake," said Dunn. " I immediately contacted the bank to inform them that, not only was I still alive, but I was the only borrower on my home loan, and I was still seeking a modification.”

Dunn said he spent several weeks making phone calls, writing letters and emailing the bank's customer relations manager. After more than a month of back and forth with Bank of America and still getting nowhere, Dunn received a new letter requesting not only his death certificate, but a statement of death benefits to go along with it.

Dunn explained , "It was at that point that I'd had enough and I he decided to make a documentary about the experience. I did not know what else to do, the experience has been unsettling, on a lot of levels,” said Dunn. “What should have been a simple financial transaction turned into a relentless nightmare. It was weird. I felt like I was fighting for my life. At one point a representative laughed about it over the phone… I was in shock."

"I made this film not just for myself, but so that it might be the voice of countless others who may be being treating this way by lending institutions. I have been told numerous stories of older people that some banks are bullying and most of those people don't have a voice,” according to Dunn.

No comments: