Thursday, August 13, 2009

Miers interview with House committee: I can't recall

Former White House counsel Harriet Miers certainly beat Gonzo in his "I can't recall" comments to the Senate committee 72 times. From combing through 200+ pages of her interview with the House committee, she basically couldn't recall the list of fired attorneys, emails that she sent or received regarding attorney removals or who and why were these USA were removed. And what made my head spin is when she was asked several hypothetical questions on whether a USA can be removed for investigating the President's friend or opponent. Miers responded that she can't either say or she said that she was confused with the question or she doesn't know all the procedure to remove a USA or it is up to the President. Sigh, now I know why she didn't qualify for a Supreme Court judge. lol Thank goodness, new Supreme Court justice Sonia Sotomayor is confirmed. I certainly can't imagine Miers sitting as a judge in the Supreme Court. It just frightens me after reading this woman's testimony to the House committee. Miers' testimony as a former White House counsel and attorney was a disaster.

From
001

Miers Transcript:


JU166001

P32:

Q Did you discuss with Karl Rove at all whether all the U.S. Attorneys should be removed?


A It would surprise me if Karl was involved in discussions about that subject.


Q So you don't have any specific recollection of discussing it with him?


A I don't have a specific recollection of actually speaking to Karl. It would not surprise me if he was involved.


Q Do you recall -- I'm sorry, say that again?


A It would not surprise me if he was involved in conversations about that topic. And I have actually seen e-mail that indicates he was. I'm not remembering that, myself; I'm remembering having seen documents.


JU166001

p. 234

Q Did you ever have any discussions with Kyle Sampson about including Patrick Fitzgerald on the firing list?


A I can tell you what I recall, and that was an instance where there was a time when Kyle Sampson suggested that he might recommend that Patrick Fitzgerald be on a list to be asked to step down.


Q And where did Mr. Sampson raise this issue with you? A I don't have a recollection of that. Q Do you recall who else was in the meeting?


A I'm not sure it was a meeting or whether it was, like -- I don't remember the context of exactly where we were when he recommended that. I do think that Bill Kelley was present and

but I can't tell you where it was with accuracy.


Q And did Mr. Sampson indicate that he thought Mr. Fitzgerald should be on the list to be fired?


A Again, it was a list to ask people to step down. And, as I recall, he was suggesting that he be considered to be asked to step down.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aren't they a cute couple the nit and the twit.