
Not surprised by the outcome. This case should be taken federal.
RAYMONDVILLE, Texas — A judge has dismissed the indictments brought by a South Texas prosecutor against Vice President Dick Cheney and former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales.
Administrative Judge Manuel Banales ruled Monday that eight indictments, including those involving Cheney and Gonzales, were improperly returned by a
Willacy County grand jury last month. The indictments against Cheney and Gonzales centered on the alleged abuse of inmates at private prisons in the county.
Banales ruled that five of the indictments against two district judges, two special prosecutors and the district clerk connected to an investigation of Willacy County District Attorney Juan Angel Guerra were unlawful because Guerra was the alleged victim and the person presenting the cases.
Banales earlier survived a recusal motion brought by Guerra. Banales then dismissed an indictment against state Sen. Eddie Lucio Jr. that accused the Brownsville Democrat of corruption.
Banales earlier survived a recusal motion brought by Guerra. Banales then dismissed an indictment against state Sen. Eddie Lucio Jr. that accused the Brownsville Democrat of corruption.
Also, bad news for DA Juan Guerra. His home is in foreclosure:
RAYMONDVILLE — Amid the final months of what he termed the “shenanigans” of the Willacy County justice system, District Attorney Juan Angel Guerra has neglected to pay his home mortgage.
Update: Guerra will continue the fight.
Chron.com:
With his term expiring at the end of the month, Guerra was told to exercise caution in his remaining days.
"I suggest on behalf of the law that you not present any cases to the grand jury involving these defendants," Banales said, before scheduling a hearing for Dec. 10 to hear a motion to disqualify Guerra from those cases.
Earlier in the day, District Judge Michael Peden rejected Guerra's attempt to disqualify Banales from hearing the cases. Guerra had argued Banales was part of the same conspiracy to silence him and could not be impartial.
David Oliveira, another attorney representing The GEO Group, called it one of the most "bizarre" proceedings he had ever seen.
But back in his office, Guerra refused to quit. He ranted against Banales for creating technicalities where none existed and promised to persist.
"I am going to continue fighting for the corruption," Guerra said. "I am still the district attorney."
1 comment:
It is my only hope that Mr. Guerra take this case federal and not allow his hard work on investigating and securing indictments against Cheney, Gonzo, and other officials got up in flames. It took a lot of guts for him to go after these high officials that have committed other crimes under investigation or under future investigation despite he sacrifice his own personal finances suh as his home.
I will find out what is Guerra's next move.
Post a Comment