Monday, February 12, 2007

Libby Trial: Glenn Kessler is up! Part Seven


Glenn Kessler is up. I'll use GK for him.
David Corn says he went to high school with David Sanger and Brown U with Glenn Kessler. He voted against Sanger taking over the high school newspaper after he left.
New Defense lawyer. (I'll use D for him)
GK 9 years at WaPo, Diplomatic correspondant, travel around world with SOS, talk with anyone involved in foreign policy.
D Covered since you've been at post.
GK Almost five years.
D Have you won any awards.
GK laughs, Yes I have, twice part of groups that won Pulitzer. I've won awards.
D Direct attention to July 2003. What subjects.
GK What I cover now, US foreign policy.
D What were some of the issues.
GK a rather full range involving foreign policy. North Korean, Israeli-Palestinian conflict, Iraq.
D More specifically week of July 7, 2003. Did there come a time when you interviewed Libby.
GK Spoke to him on July 12, also July 18.
[they're constructing a timeline of all the journalists with whom libby spoke without leaking.]
GK helping a colleague who asked me to bounce some things off of Scooter.
D Did you contact them
GK No I contacted them, I also sent an email. My colleague had 5 specific questions he wanted to raise. These were the things we're hearing. Cathie gave partial answers, said Scooter would follow up.
D How did he follow-up
GK Telephone. He called me, I had heard from Cathie to expect call over weekend, I was at zoo with children, on a Saturday, on CT Avenue, the National Zoo. I had taken the questions of my colleague, they were in my pocket. I had my 3 children, who were 2, 6, and 10, I had received the call when I was in the elephant house.
D What makes it memorable for you.
GK I hadn't taken many calls in the elephant house, I had to sit on a stool in the middle of the elephant house, and I had to direct my 10 year old to make sure my other children weren't absconded.
D You were able to focus.
GK With occasional pausing to yell at my son to keep an eye on the others.
D Groundrules?
2:59pm ET
Update 2:
GK: I had had instructions from Martin and Mary Matalin that said that when Scooter says Off the record, he means Deep background. I have never discussed the topics of this subject with Fitzgerald. Libby is a confidential source. Since you're asking me, do I have permission to speak about this?
D: Did you conversation have to do with Iraq and OVP?
D: Did Libby say anything about Wilson's wife? Did you say anything to him.
GK: No I did not.
D: Are you certain about that?
GK: I'm certain.
D: Puts up the October 12 WaPo article.
Fitz Objection.
Kessler looks like he could be an ex-military guy, conservative hair cut, pretty big guy. He's looking around inquistively. Just saw someone and smiled big.
D: Puts up the July 12 column with Libby's frantic underlines. This is an October 12 article written by Pincus and Allen. Reading from it. Did you ever discuss, were you a source for Pincus for this article? Did Libby discuss with you whether Wilson's trip was a boondoggle? Did you suggest to him in some way it was a boondoggle.
Fitz up
F: Do you recall when your deposition outside GJ took place?
GK: June 24?
F: You appeared under oath in attorney's office, rather than before GJ?
Objection sustained
F: You understand arrangement had to do with you as rep of media. You were asked questions limited by scope of Libby's waiver. You testified there were questions about planning for war in Iraq. In June 2004, you were not asked to testify about what the conversation was, only about whether Wilson and wife came up. Is it fair to say that arrangements did not affect truth in deposition.
F: You're very clear that you did not discuss this with Pincus. Part of this is the unique memory of taking a cell phone call in the elephant house.
GK: From memory as well as contemporaneous notes.
F: Did you also check notes.
GK: the actual notes were lost. Since I was doing a favor for a colleague, once I came back from Elephant house, I wrote up note and sent it off.
F: Is it fair to say that you did nothing in terms of working with colleagues on story about Wilson's wife. You had a reaction when you read about Wilson's wife.
GK: I read it in newspaper on 14th. I said Boy this is interesting.
F: There's no way you had a conversation two days before.
GK: I said, oh, this is news to me.
F: And so that reinforces your memory that you had not conversation about this.
D: Did you have an opportunity to review your notes.
GK: It refreshed what the issues were, I was doing it as a favor for a colleague, they were his questions, not mine. I was able to remember what we talked about.
D: This refreshed your recollection as to what you did not discuss.
Next witness


More on the Libby trial.

No comments: