Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Libby Trial: Matt Cooper is up! Part Three


Cooper leaning back, with eyes closed. He just doesn't seem flustered by this. I think he is just plain annoyed. As if, you know, maybe he wants to be done with this long ordeal. Cooper faced left side of courtroom. He has this disdainful look which makes him look worried. Now spinning around in the swivel chair.
Walton Apologize the delay, but I had to review a consent decree in voting rights issue.
Approach for one moment.
Sidebar. Cooper flipping through some papers.
Looks like he's trying to listen to sidebar.
Jeffress back up.
Walton Let me just give you a slight schedule change for tomorrow, one of my former clerks is leaving, so that's at 10. Ceremony is only a half hour, so I'll go to swearing in. We'll start at 10:45. I'm being told that they've already got breakfast for you. I'll ask counsel to be here by 10:30. I apologize for delay. I guess if you want to come in later, you can, but your breakfast will be cold. We need to coordinate with Marshalls, too, so you need to let us know.
Cooper arranging mike.
Jeffress: Do you remember call with Libby was actually two calls.
New exhibit.
J: Record of phone calls from Edwards AFB. You see it reflects a pair of calls to your cell. Those calls are July 12, 2003. First one at 14:24. Lasted 13.25 minutes. Over 14:38.
MC: Uh, yeah.
J: Another call at 14:40, lasted 4.6 minutes.
J: In fact, there were two, it was interrupted, and then he called you back. Do you remember what that interruption was.
MC: I really don't. It was on his side, not mine.
J: The first part was the on the record part of the call. The statement about Wilson's wife came in the second part of the call.
MC: Came at the end.
J: I'd like to show you your notes again. Looking at
had something and about the Wilson thing and not sure if it's ever
J: Reads through note. Teasing about Cooper taking notes in his bed. You leave a lot of things out. If you had a question for Libby you'd probably type up what Libby said. If he said he had heard. You have the word "had." Is it possible you would have typed the word had instead of heard.
MC: I might have. That's not my recollection of what he said.
J: You type the word and and when people aren't saying it.
MC: Not sure I'd accept your characterization.
J: Let's look at your note-taking habits. [looking above, Speaking too fast for court reporter] We've seen many times you don't get to finish. You make a lot of typos, you said it's not SOTU. And the end of that paragraph. You meant to finish that sentence. He finished that sentence. It's just not in your notes. Look at next paragraph. We were not involved should probably be involved.
[he's just ragging on Cooper's typing and sprawling on bed]
J: So this is your best effort in a conversation taking place quickly to get down what you need, it's by no means complete or accurate in terms of what person is doing.
MC: I wouldn't say it's unaccurate. I'm getting down as much as I could.
J: Remember you have the note "notable." That's not what he said.
MC: I can't recall whether he said, I believe it came from him.
J: Let's look down here, see how you have "not sure it's ever."
MC: I don't sir.
J: Do you ever type an r when you mean to type an n?
New exhibit.
3:33 pm ET
Update 2:
J: I don't need to introduce these, but I do need to display them.
J: Brings up page.
[Jeffress has found a note where MC clearly typed r instead of n]
J: were you typing notes while you were talking to someone.
J: You meant to type erroneous but you hit an "r" instead, so it became "erroreous."
MC: Sure
J: Shows him typing "eregy" instead of "energy" [on an aluminum tube story]
J: Back to the Libby notes. If you had asked him if Plame had sent him on the trip, you could have referred to the Wilson thing.
MC: That's not how I remember.
J: Suppose you hit an r instead of an n
J: Isn't it possible that Libby said, "I'm not sure if it's even true."
MC: That's not my recollection
J: What did he say next.
MC: I don't know.
Cooper stoic.
J: I like to ask you some questions about. After you testified to GJ and as a matter of a fact, as you testified to GJ about Rove in this case. After you testified the second time a year later, you've talked many times on television about what you said. You've been asked many times about what you said to Mr Libby. Each time you said Mr. Libby said, "I've heard that too."
MC: I've always qualified it to the effect of
J: Did you write an article about it. Did you discuss what you heard from Libby.
J: New exhibit.




More on Cooper's testimony.

No comments: