Friday, October 03, 2008

Flyers aim to keep black Philadelphians from polls

TPM

The Philadelphia Daily News reported yesterday that flyers have been making the rounds in some of the city's African-American neighborhoods, falsely claiming that voters who face outstanding arrest warrants and even unpaid parking tickets may be arrested at the polls.

The flyers could prove particularly effective at scaring people away from voting, because they attribute the falsehood to "an Obama supporter." They begin:

Recently, at school, an Obama supporter approached me during a rock the vote assembly. He informed me that on the day of the election there will be undercover officers to execute warrants on those who come to vote based on the anticipated turnout. He advised me if I had any outstanding warrants or traffic offenses I should clear them up prior to voting.

It is unclear who's behind the flyers, which are signed "anonymous". The mayor's office became aware of them last week, and has passed them on to the offices of the District Attorney and the U.S. Attorney. It also plans to record a public-service announcement for broadcast, to help get out the word that the flyers are bogus.

1 comment:

airJackie said...

At lease the minorities in Michigan are safe as McCain/Palin gave Obama/Biden the electorial votes even before people voted.

I visited Colodaro and Hispanics were give a tape that told them if they voted they would be deported. I guess that's just the way Republicans run the country is by threatening people next they just might put minorities in jail for election day.