Saturday, June 21, 2008

First female Native USA expresses her concerns.


Meet Diane J. Humetewa.

WASHINGTON - Many have asked how Native justice issues have been affected since the infamous spate of firings of U.S. attorneys in 2006 - 07. Five of the eight attorneys dismissed under former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales were viewed as keen advocates for Indian issues, and some in Indian country have wondered whether their advocacy played a role in their firings. Diane J. Humetewa, a glass ceiling-breaking Hopi woman who actually replaced one of those fired, shared her thoughts on the issue and the challenges she faces in an interview with Indian Country Today.

Indian Country Today: How did the opportunity arise for you to become a U.S. attorney?

Diane Humetewa: The opportunity arose when one day I was sitting in my office, and the telephone rang - a gentleman said, ''Please hold for John McCain.'' Sen. McCain simply asked me whether I wanted to provide this service for Arizona. Frankly, I was pretty taken aback and surprised and flattered. I felt I certainly couldn't say no. ... I took the oath of office in December, and was formally sworn in a month and a half later.

ICT: How does it feel to be the first female Native U.S. attorney?

Humetewa: First of all, I think it really is a position that if someone asked me 10 or five years ago whether I thought I'd ever be in this position, I probably would have laughed and said, ''Yeah, right.'' It really is for me - when I go out to visit not just Native communities, but communities across the state - really humbling. Many times, Native females Come up to me and say I'm their role model.

More of the interview from Indian Country.

No comments: