Friday, May 25, 2007

Happy 30th anniversary! Fan recalls opening day.





From McClatchy Newspaper:

On May 25, 1977, "Star Wars" opened at a theater in Washington, D.C., and my life changed.

I had just finished my freshman year at New York's Pratt Institute and had heard of the film. A veteran reader of science fiction, I'd picked up the book, read it and become an enthusiast.

When I returned home, I teamed up with my high school science fiction club and we decamped to the Uptown Theater to see the show.

Touching base with them now, I find we all have fuzzy memories of that day. I remember us being first in line. One friend thinks we were farther down the line but close enough to get the promotional "May the Force Be With You" buttons. Another remembers us sitting in the upper gallery of the old theater.


No comments: